Japan Times

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Three day weekend





So as several of you know my last weekend was a three dayer. It was sort of eventful. On Friday I went out with a friend Yasuyo "Sue" for dinner. She asked me to come out to meet her friend Hitomi (see first photo). We went to a very good Italian style restraunt and chatted it up a bit. Hitomi is a very nice woman who is interested in America and English (along with Chinese and Japanese). So that was Friday.
Saturday I had another lesson, my third, with elementary school kids at Glory. That went pretty well and I think the kids are a little less shy these days. After that one of the other teachers asked if I'd be interested in a little side work in the evening a couple times during the summer. I said sure and so he showed me the school. It's about a 15-20 min bike ride from my apartment. I'll get 16000¥ per day for 4 hours on Mondays and 3 hours on Thursdays. It's not as good as Glory, but nothing to spit at. The reason I'll be filling in is, he will be in America visiting family for several weeks in August. So I'll be teaching 3 or 4 lessons. The big thing is I'll be teaching completely alone on Monday(s). At Glory even though I don't have a team teacher there are parents and another Japanese administrator in the building. At this school it's just me and the students, which makes me a bit nervous (again).
After my tour of the other school I went back to my apartment and got ready for the farwell pot luck. All the American's leaving this summer kind of threw a pot luck party to let community members say good bye. That went for a few hours and then afterward we moved to Coast Bar. Coast was having a "Beach Party." By beach party I mean they filled the bar with sand and all with water balloons and water guns flying around in the mix.
Sunday was a bit calmer in the morning and then at 4:30 Avi (an ex-aussie neighbor) got married (see pictures 2 and 3). It was a bit disorganized because of the typhoon threat, but in the end it worked out. Afterward there was a reception at Roxy, which I didn't go to because I hate the cave and it's smokey atmosphere. Instead I met up with Chelsea, Michelle, Eiko and Allison for a drink at Hosanna's. This also happend to be Allison's last night in Japan (see picture 4) so wesaid good bye afterward and Allison went back to Roxy. Chelsea, Michelle, Eiko and I went to Time Machine and did 3 hours of Kareoke instead. My voice still hurts.
Monday was a real lazy day. The only major interesting thing was I went and got coffee with Hitomi. I learned more about her business and about her. She likes comdey movie, blues music, doesn't like novels, is 27, has been to many many countries around the world, studied Chinese in college and so on. So there you have it a glimps at my weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home